I have never ate a mochi cake. I was intrigued and thus today was my first attempt on baking a mochi cake. The ingredients are easy to find and the steps in making the cake are simple. Nothing complicated like whisking egg whites and sugar into stiff peaks. The cake tasted very good but not advisable to finish all by yourself. Because you are consuming glutinous rice flour, you would feel super bloated if you were to eat more than 2 big slices. But it is hard to resist the yummy mochi cake!
Ingredients (for one 9in round pan):
1 lb glutinous rice flour
2 Tbsp matcha powder
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 cups milk
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1. Coat the pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave. Add melted butter and eggs into a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Add one cup of milk and one cup of sugar into the egg mixture. Mix well. Repeat the step with another cup of milk and another cup of sugar.
4. Add glutinous rice flour one cup at a time into the egg mixture. You may also add the 1 lb of glutinous rice flour into the egg mixture at one go but it will be messy and difficult to stir.
5. Add in the matcha powder into the mixture and stir well. The mixture should be smooth and liquidity.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan. Place the pan into the pre-heated oven and bake at 350F for an hour. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
7. Wait for the cake to cool down completely before attempting to take out the cake.
Enjoy the cake!